Thursday, July 18, 2013

Media Outtake #3 : Sweaty Laundry

The song "Dirty Laundry" by Kelly Rowland reminds me of Delia from Hurston's short story "Sweat" because in this song Rowland sings about being abuse by her loved, just like Delia is suffering from the hands of her husband. In the song, Rowland is going through a "wash cycle" to cleanse (free) herself from her lover because he is not good for her health. As for "Sweat”, Delia is a working woman who has a husband that takes her hard earn money and uses it on women he flirts with. Delia not only puts up with his abuse but also his infidelity.  Just like in the song "Dirty Laundry" when Rowland says "bird in a cage", Delia can relate to because she cannot escape her husband's mistreatment of her. The song continues to depict the mischief Rowland's lover committed to her that she put up with. Both women were strong enough to withstand the abuse, but were liberated from there oppressors in a different way. For Delia, she receives this relief from the death of her husband, Sykes. As for Rowland her liberation was leaving her loved one after her "wash cycle". I think these women stayed faithfully besides their lovers because they were blinded by love. It is like the saying goes “you cannot help who you fall in love with” otherwise individuals would not get into an abusive relationship that dehumanizes them for their companion’s enjoyment. Love is a crazy drug that we as humans are still trying to figure out. This is why I believe that Rowland and Hurston wrote these pieces of literature to relate to women who are in these situations to let them know that they too will be liberated. These situations are not healthy for anyone to be in but who are we to judge?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhMZOk8gJXw

5 comments:

  1. Billy, Great job! I feel like everyone is chosing to compare a song to the short story, "Sweat." The comparison that you made resembles it perfectly. Although I have not listened to the song you chose, it seems as though the climax is in the beginning rather than the end. In the book, the climax is at the end. The resolution and theme of the song and the short story are still the same. I think you did a great job at comparing these two items. Great job Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy,you did a very good job with your connection. I was actually considering doing a connection with Kelly Rowland`s "Dirty Laundry".I have heard the songs a few times and recently I decided to sit and see what message the song is sending.It was very interesting how Hurston`s story "Sweat" had so many things in common with the song.I like how you included Kelly`s lyrics when she said "bird in a cage" because in the end both women obtained a sense of freedom.I find it quite interesting that the song is titled "Dirty Laundry" and in the story Delia`s job involved doing laundry.Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Billy you did it again I can always count on you to come up with a connection that blows me away. These two pieces that you talked about relate in such ways I did not know about. The comparison "bird in a cage" part was really what stood out to me because both women were putting up with their partner just for love. And yes love is blind it can have you do some crazy things like stay in an abusive relationship for some years. I found the connection of both women getting their freedom was a great one to make. Overall this was a great connection that you made

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great connection you made with Rowland’s song Dirty Laundry and Hurston’s short story “Sweat”. I agree with the “bird in the cage” connection because it seems as though she can’t break free from her abusive relationship with Sykes. I sensed that Delia did get a whiff of relief when she saw Sykes lying on the ground in the kitchen, because it simply was all over. No more abuse was coming her way, and she could finally live her life the way she wanted to. I definitely see the connection between the song and the short story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Whoosh!" That was the sound of me being blown away. Your choice of media was great. I was actually thinking of this song when I first read "Sweat." I also do believe that the women stayed with their lovers because they were blinded by love. Love can be one tricky thing. The added fact that Delia washes clothes to make money is an added bonus. Sykes is definitely Delia's dirty laundry. Delia did her laundry, and got rid of a really big stain that was not necessary in her life. Billy, this was a really good connection, I truly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete