Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Media Outtake #2: Emily`s Obsession

As I read and understood the short story A Rose for Emily I was able to connect it with a 2009 American thriller film directed by Steve Shill called Obsessed. The movie features two very well-known people, singer Beyonce` Knowles and actor Idris Elba. The movie is about a male executive vice president of a finance company named Derek who has a new office temp who immediately gets a misconception about him. It turns out that he is happily married with a child and the office temp, Lisa has an obsession with him. She took several of Derek`s actions as if he were flirting with her. She starts throwing herself at him showing that she was interested in being with Derek. Lisa`s way of approaching him did not sit too well with Derek`s wife. His wife, Sharon thought that maybe there was an affair taking place. The most important connection I made between the movie and story came about when Lisa was willing to get rid of Derek`s wife. By her constant actions, I saw that she was okay with doing whatever it took to be happy. Sharon also related to Emily because she was not going to let someone ruin her happiness throughout her marriage. She was willing to cause great harm just to keep her family together. I was able to notice how the two women were okay with fighting for their delight. With all of the tussling involving the women, Lisa ended up dying and concluded that Sharon did what she thought was best to remain happy. In comparison, Emily felt that by her killing her husband she became happy because she knew he was not happy with someone else. Like Sharon, Emily refused to live with the fear of being without a husband who they felt made them a happier individual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9jypNpovbs

9 comments:

  1. JaCoreyah, I can see how you created the relation between the movie Obsession and the story "A Rose for Emily." I agree with you on the fact that both Emily and Sharon were willing to do whatever it takes to be happy. With that being said, I also feel like a connection could have been made by saying that both women wanted control and did what it took to receive it. Emily felt like she was losing her man, as did Sharon, so they each took action in a way that they felt necessary. I enjoyed reading your post and gaining insight to a connection that I wouldn't have thought of myself, yet I appreciated your interpretation and respect your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent reply, Danielle. I like the connection JaCoreyah makes between the movie, "Obsession," and "A Rose for Emily." However, I was looking for a stronger connection between the two. Good job, though.

      Delete
  2. JaCoreyah, the title of your blog post automatically caught my attention. I have watched the movie "Obsessed" many times so I am very much familiar with it and I can definitely see how you could make the connection between it and "A Rose for Emily". I agree with everything you have said here. I too believe that Emily and Sharon both did what they thought would be best in relation to them remaining happy within their lives. Emily, on one hand, killed the man in which she wished was her husband and kept his body as her "husband", while Sharon killed Lisa who was obsessed with her husband in order to keep her family together as well as her happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your comparison between “A Rose for Emily”, and “Obsessed”. I agree with your statement that the woman in “obsessed “, Lisa, wanted to murder the man’s wife in order to reach full happiness. Ms. Emily murdered her future husband as a way of keeping him from living because it appears that he is her first love, since she was not able to date other people due to her father’s restrictions. So, the idea of them killing their obstructions in order to protect the husband from being unhappy is debatable because they commit the act of murder in order to defend what they believe is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand how this connection was made. The office temp, Lisa was very much obsessed with Derek. Just like Emily was with Homer. They both displayed that in the way that they acted. In “Rose for Emily” she didn't want Homer to leave so she ended up poisoning him so that he could always be there with her. In Obsessed, Lisa wanted Derek but she had to get rid of his wife. She was willing to go and kill his wife just so that she could have him all to herself. Both women were ready to literally kill just to get what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the connection you made between “A Rose for Emily” and the movie “Obsessed”. Both Emily and the woman from the movie were willing to do whatever it took to make themselves happy. I feel that the final scene in the story suggests that Emily is in fact a necrophiliac. Killing Homer Barron was her way of taking the control that she never had while growing up. Her father kept her locked up and she had a lover who was going to leave her. Emily would not let that happen so she resorted to killing him. In the movie Lisa was willing commit a crime to achieve happiness, in this case kill Derek’s wife. Again, good job and very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a great connection you made, I would have never thought of that. I love that movie, and I agree with some of the people that commented before me, I definitely see a little bit of Emily in both characters. Emily not only takes Sharon’s characteristics when it comes to doing anything she can to take care of a family, even if that means taking a life and even though its technically not a real family. However, Emily is just like Lisa in the why in which she becomes so “obsessed” with a situation it takes her to extremes. While Lisa tried to kill the wife, Emily killed the man to keep him to herself. Both characters tried to benefit , both ended up dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the conversations that developed on this thread!

    ReplyDelete