Thursday, July 18, 2013

Media Outtake #3: "I Refuse" to "Sweat"

     When reading the short story Sweat by African-American author Zora Neale Hurston, I quickly made multiple connections. However, I found the best connection being with the song I Refuse by late singer, Aaliyah. In both the short story and the song, the female leads decide that they deserve better than the current relationship that they’re in.
            Sweat is about an African-American woman, Delia, who is in an abusive marriage. The abuse her husband, Sykes, inflicts onto her is not only physical, but also verbal and mental. Sykes continuously looks for ways to belittle Delia, as he seems to enjoy her torture. He does this by not only harassing her about her fear of snakes, but by also being very open and public with his extramarital affairs. Somehow, Delia has been able to put up with this treatment for roughly fifteen years. Through church, however, she is able to keep sane and realizes that she deserves better than him. She finally finds the strength to stand up to him and does not back down to his threats. She eventually becomes free of his torment after he dies from being attacked by the rattlesnake he used to scare her.
            I Refuse was a song featured on Aaliyah’s third and final studio album, Aaliyah, which is commonly referred to as “The Red Album”. The plot of the song places Aaliyah in a tumultuous relationship. From the beginning of the song, she lets the listeners know that she is fed up with the line, “This is where I’ve got to draw the line, ‘cause I refuse to let you think you can play with my mind.” Throughout the song, she sings of how she is going to take a stand and not put up with this mistreatment any longer. This is seen through the repetition of the phrase, “I refuse” which is appropriately the title of the song. She “refuses” to let him negatively affect her life by being in it any longer. I feel that both the song and the short story connect in that both protagonists found the strength leave but to also not physically retaliate and fight fire with fire.

x

5 comments:

  1. Diamond, great job! I also did a song that reminded me of the short story, "Sweat" as well. The song that you chose definitely resembles the short story very well. I would have never thought about chosing that song, great choice! I also like the word that you used; tumultuous. I also chose a song that has the same ending. It is awesome that both of the woman finally chose to stop the abuse. You transitioned from the story to the song very well. Great job again Diamond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that’s a great comparison. Ive never actually listened to any of Aaliyah’s songs, but upon further research, I could not believe the parallel similarities between song and story. My personal curiosity is: how long did Aaliyah put up with her partner’s abuse before she decided enough was enough. I also thought it was admirable how both women chose to use wit over fists to break free from the abuse they endured. I feel like songs and stories like these could help women everywhere who are currently in a trapped, abusive relationship that do not have the strength or courage to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this a very good connection. I have never listened to the song "I Refuse" by Aaliyah. With this connection I am able to see how much it connects with the short story "Sweat".I like that your connections went from the beginning to the end.I can now see how both women accepted it at first but once they realized they deserve a better life they changed that.I think it showed some sort of courage when both women were able to put an end to it and start new lifestyles.The connection you have made has now influenced me to listen to Aaliyah`s song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a good connection Diamond that you came up with. You made a valid point of how both of the women where fed up with the way they were getting treated. Although I have never heard this song you make me want to go listen to it just to see if I get the same connections. But the only thing I would say that was a negative about you media out take was that you did not explain what Aaliyah with through in detail like you did with Delia. But overall this was a good piece of reading from you and a better connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diamond, this was a great connection made here between the story, "Sweat" and Aaliyah's song, "I refuse." I have actually listened to many of Aaliyah's songs except this one in particular. I feel that the connections you made here served great relevance to each. Both women are making statements that they are going to stand up for themselves and not let their mates push them around and treat them just any kind of way anymore. Although, they both seemed to accept this kind of treatment at first, as you move further into the story and the song there is an obvious showing that in the end they both stood up for themselves and refused to let that treatment persist on any longer. Great job here!

    ReplyDelete