Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"Inception Horse"

Paul from the short story "The Yellow Rocking Horse" reminds me of Mal from the movie "Inception" because both characters became consumed with an idea that led to their demise. Coincidentally, these ideas were instilled into their minds by their loved ones. For Paul, it was his mother telling him that to have money meant one had to be "lucky" and as for Mal, she believed that her dreams were reality when in fact her husband brainwashed this "reality" into her mind. So, in a sense one can say that both Paul's and Mal's death can somewhat fall on the shoulders of their loved ones. Paul's obsession to become "lucky" by riding his horse to "get there" (finding the winning horse's name) and Mal's belief of her reality dream world became there every thought, thus creating my thought of them being similar. Paul's main focus was to bet on the horse's he knew would win for sure to obtain money to silence the voices he heard within his house, and maybe then he would be "lucky" so he could make his mother happy. Similarly, Mal lost her grip on reality because the dream world herself and her husband were living in (creating) became so vividly real that she lost sight of the real world. Both characters believed that there obsession would make their loved ones happy because the result of their fixation would lead to bliss between them, while not realizing that they were losing their sanity. I think to be consumed with a thought or an idea can be good for ones health because ambition and determination can get one far in life. However, this can also be detrimental to one's health because the mind is an open world that should not be confined to just one thought. Or one might lose their sanity.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTAJ00nIlI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzeT__4uwPE

8 comments:

  1. Great post Billy that is a great connection that I did not think about at all but it makes complete sense. I saw this movie a year or so ago and while I watched it all I could think about was how they were gambling their lives and could not stop no matter what. But everyone who participated with the inception experiment had a lust and obsession to continue to go back to their perfect world and lifestyle. I agree with you on the note that their loved ones put all of this pressure on them. All Paul and Mal ever wanted were to live a happy, peaceful life with their loved ones but they made it their duty to get them to the point of happiness. The outcome could have been different if they were not manipulated, they were as you said “brainwashed”. Although I do have to say that Paul and Maul were affected by their loved ones but they still could have had a choice to turn away and find an alternate resolution. But this is a prime example of fear and desperation.

    ReplyDelete


  2. I have never seen this movie but from the way you were describing it made a lot of sense and connections. I like how you put in that ambition and determination can have its positive side but also can be a hindrance to ones success. Because sometimes we as people just like those in the books get so caught up in what we want no matter the cost and can’t really see how that is hurting us. But when you said both put pressure on them I had to disagree because Paul mother was just telling him to have money you have to be lucky she was not demanding that he be lucky or else. Overall this was a great connection I will be watching this movie to see if I can grasp the same information and connections as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post because you have brought it to my attention that ambition and determination can sometimes cause a rough patch in someones goals. I can honestly say this had made me look at things a bit different.I have never seen this movie but you have really helped me get an understanding what it is about. However,Paul was not really forced to try to make them lucky. He took it upon himself to get so worked up with trying to make his mother happy. He thought this would not only make her happy but also help them live a better life and it eventually backfired because he wore himself out and died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy, your opening sentence is powerful and effective. I loved the movie, "Inception," and can certainly see the connection you are making between the story and the movie. You also skillfully crafted this post so that the reader can understand your perspective clearly. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy, this was such a well thought out and creative connection. I loved the movie "Inception," and the fact that you compared it with the short story "The Rocking Horse Winner" made me very interested with what you had to say. After reading your post, I must say that you did a great job clearly expressing your comparison of the two, and even if I hadn't seen the movie "Inception" I still would have understood your comparison. I thought that Paul and Mal did have similar demises, and I agree with your opinion that their loved ones were somewhat responsible for their deaths. I enjoyed reading your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inception is a fantastic movie. I have seen it multiple times and I like to think that I know the plot fairly well now; however, I never saw this connection to the short story, “The Rocking-Horse Winner”, as you did. And quite frankly I am amazed at the similarities. Mal and Paul both had their lives completely taken over by a simple thought. A simple thought that incepted into their lives. One confused Mal into accepting a false reality, the other caused Paul to overwork himself into becoming lucky that way he could receive approval and praise from his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billy, although I actually have never seen or at least I do not remember seeing the movie "Inception", you seemed to make great connections between "The Yellow Wallpaper" and "Inception" here. It is true that Paul did become obsessed with riding that rocking horse and betting on which horse he knew would win which did cause him to lose his sanity. The movie "Inception" and Mal's obsession with her dream and not being able to distinguish it from reality connected well with "The Yellow Wallpaper". You made some very creative points here. I loved your closing at the end when you talked about how being consumed with one particular thought or idea can be good to one's health but also bad in a way as well. That was a wonderful point! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Billy, you really caught me in the beginning of this. I wouldnt have been able to think of this connection. I saw the movie "inception" and I did not fully understand it until reading this post. The way you showed the connection between the story and the movie was very intelligent even though it wasnt the exact topic, it still fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete