Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Enough


 "Enough"

After reading the short story “The Yellow Wallpaper” and reviewing the story in class I have received a better understanding of the story and I have a great connection for this story.  I notice that she was a woman with very little power and had to listen to everything her husband would tell her. She was confined to the home and confined from expanding as a human being. Men had it easy in this time period and she just wanted to be free all the instructions they were telling her. As I read more I started to think of the movie “Enough” starring Jennifer Lopez.

                I connected these two together because from the movie and the short story they both went through abuse. In “The Yellow Wallpaper” she went through mental abusive from her husband, brother and etc. They told her what she could and what she could not do. In “Enough” Jennifer Lopez went through physical and mental abusive but mainly physical. Both husbands wanted control over their wife where they could make them do whatever they wanted which both women did in the beginning. Both women did not like the fact that they were being confined to just what their partner wanted them to do. Another reason why I connected these two was because both women started to gain the power that they always wanted. Even if it took going behind their partners back to get it done. With the “The Yellow Wallpaper” she started writing and reading the wall paper behind their backs. And in the movie Jennifer Lopez started taking self-defense classes without her husband knowing. At the end of the short story and the movie both of the women gained the power they always wanted, with Jennifer Lopez killing her Husband and with the Wife getting out of that confinement forcing the husband to fall to the floor.

 

9 comments:

  1. Rashard you did very good breaking down what the movie Enough and the short story The Yellow Wallpaper had in common. I watched the movie a while back and did not realize how much it related to this story I have recently read.You mentioned how both women characters were somehow abused rather it was mental,physical,or maybe even both.Also,by using an up to date movie you showed how even in the 20th century how men still take complete control over women. It was great when you compared how both women did something without their husband knowing to express or free themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the connections he's making, too, JaCoreyah.

      Delete
  2. Great post Rashard, I found your post to be very interesting. I also was lost when I read the short story but after the class discussion so many hidden details began to make so much more sense rather than the speaker being a mad women. I personally have not seen this movie but it sounds like it is a must see and I can clearly see the connection. I know that in many or even all of movies that have Jennifer Lopez in it she represents a women who in the end becomes very strong and independent. That goes perfectly with "The Yellow Wallpaper", in both instances the women no longer showed signs of fear or defeat. They prepared themselves to stand up from themselves although both had different strategies, both made a huge impact in their favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad the class discussions helped you understand the story!

      Delete
  3. Although I have never seen the movie, "Enough, I like the way you vividly painted the connections between the movie and the "Yellow Wallpaper" because it made it clear to me that both woman had to be submissive to the husbands because at that period in time woman were to be submissive to men. I agree with you on the point that both woman at the end of the short story and movie reached a point where they were able to gain power over their spouse to liberate them from their surpression. Also, I think that woman of this time were not just battling against their spouse but society in general. From the description of the movie, "Enough" and the short story the "Yellow Wallpaper" I believe that woman should be treated as equals of men because both of the woman achieved their empowerment over man in the end.
    Thanks Rashard for this insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those two connected perfectly. Enough is also a movie that I am very familiar with. In the short story, the husband was controlling in a more subtle way. I actually think he did care about his wife. However in Enough, Jennifer's husband was more aggresive and did not care about her well being. In The Yellow Wall Paper the wife's outlet was her writing; it was what kept her happy. While in Enough her daughter is the only thing that kept her happy and what drove her to fight back. I agree with you that both represent how women can still be oppressed, but still feel obligated to stay for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rashard, the relation between the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper" and the movie "Enough" was very intriguing to me. I never would have found the relationship between the two, but once I read your post I clearly saw the similarities the two had. I thought you did a remarkable job with being creative, and your comparison was quite relevant. I see how both women were being controlled by their spouse, and how they both felt trapped in some way. I think that with the comparison to the movie "Enough," it actually caused me to have some insight to the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper." It made me believe that the woman in "The Yellow Wallpaper" might not have been insane, just as Jennifer Lopez was not. Both women simply felt trapped within their lives, and that type of feeling could bring out a side in anyone that could cause them to appear mentally unstable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rashard, I feel that you did a great job here with making the connections between "The Yellow Wallpaper" and the movie "Enough". When I first read "The Yellow Wallpaper" the thought never crossed my mind that the husband was controlling and mentally abusive. Not only did that thought not occur to me, but the time period did not occur to me either. Your comparisons between the two made great sense and was extremely creative. The ending to both the story and the movie connected in great ways also with the woman in "The Yellow Wallpaper" and Jennifer Lopez in "Enough" both finally breaking free from the confinement they felt they both had in their lives in pertaining to their husbands. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rashard, I completely agree with you on this connection. I watched the movie "enough" a long time ago but I do remember that her husband was controlling her and she did not enjoy it. It was difficult for her to get out of the situation that she was in. The movie "enough" and the short story "girl" were based in the same time, when women were basically controlled by men. I like how you pointed out that in both the movie and short story, the women found a way to stop being controlled by the men and finally stood up for themselves.

    ReplyDelete